Yuanteng (Jeff) Pei (裴元腾) is a senior software engineer in Software Deployment at LinkedIn. He was previously at Cloud Engineering in eBay from 2012 to 2017. He is the author of Parallec.io (500+ ★) and REST Commander (800+ ★) (formerly known as REST Superman) at eBay, open source parallel multi-procotol client library & application. REST Commander is an open source parallel async HTTP client as a service software for scalable web server management and monitoring (Check Github, eBay tech blog, InfoQ, OSChina). Jeff joined cloud engineering at eBay (San Jose, CA) upon receiving his Ph.D. in Computer Science from Michigan State University in 2011. about.me
Ph.D. STUDY: Jeff concentrates on computer networks and is advised by Professor and Chair Dr. Matt Mutka, IEEE Fellow. Leveraging algorithmic and graph-theoretic tools, he proposed several schemes to improve bandwidth and reduce latency in real-time video/audio transmissions in mobile wireless networks.
INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE (Managers Recommendations for (2)(3)(4) are all available at his LinkedIn profile):
(1) Currently in Cloud Engineering team at eBay (San Jose, CA).
(2) A software intern at Epic (Verona, WI) on telemedicine in patient web portal MyChart.
(3) A software intern at Touchtown Inc. (Oakmont, PA) on indoor localization in wireless mesh networks.
(4) A joint R&D project by PPG Industries (Fortune 200) and MSU on networked multi-camera surveillance and tracking.
• Parallec.io was tweeted by the Author of Akka. Featured in This Week in #Scala | OSChina - 2015 Top 100. Check production use cases.
• REST Commander has been ranked 8th/10 millions+ projects in global Github trending of the day in all languages; Recommended and listed in top 20 trending of the day by oschina, the largest open source community in China. It has also been front-paged twice in Hacker News; got 400+ shares in eBay tech blog.
• Recipient (12/366; top 3%) of SkunkWorks 2013 Enablement Grant Award at eBay (1).
• With Epic (2), Jeff served as the single recipient (1/21) of both (i) Creative Intern Project Award and (ii) Best Presentation Award in all intern projects evaluation by head of R&D and senior managers.
• "A Common Part in Today’s Cloud Software", discover what is common in Kubernetes, Openstack, SaltStack, Logstash/Elastic, and Zabbix? 11/2016.
Fast parallel async HTTP/SSH/TCP/UDP/Ping client java library based on Akka. Aggregate 10,000 APIs and send them anywhere with 20 lines of code. Now made the core of REST Commander as an easy to use standalone library with 15+ new features. Parallec has been tweeted by the Author of Akka , and featured in This Week in #Scala | OSChina.
Fast Parallel Async HTTP/REST/SOAP client as a service to monitor and manage 10,000 web servers. Has been ranked 8th/10 millions+ projects in global Github trending of the day in all languages; Recommended and listed in top 20 trending of the day by OSChina, the largest open source community in China. It has also been front-paged twice in Hacker News; got 400+ shares in eBay tech blog; Became 2nd / 60 projects (top 3.3%) most starred project in Github among all eBay open source projects.
Member of Technical Staff 1, Software Engineer, October 2014 - April 2017
Senior Software Engineer, February 2012 - September 2014
10^5 scale web server monitor and management. Managing 10^5 agents for software deployment, monitoring, and task execution. Cloud Engineering. RESTful web service, platform as a service (PaaS), infrastructure as a service (IaaS), Self service monitoring and alerting. Remediation and config management.
Served as the single recipient (1/21) of both (1) Creative Intern Project Award and (2) Best Presentation Award in all intern projects evaluation by head of R&D and senior managers. Developed RTMFP(UDP) based video visit from patients to physicians with cross-platform support (Flex/Flash Media Server). Evaluated thoroughly (Pros/Cons) with positive feedback on major vendors for video APIs. Effective badgering and intensive communication with vender sales for guidance.
Developed Zigbee (802.15.4) received signal strength (RSS) based indoor Real-Time Location System (RTLS) by multi-story aware hypothesis and test algorithms, which improved accuracy by 25% considering practical constraints for senior living community. Deployed the system at Willows of Presbyterian SeniorCare (Oakmont, PA).
Multi-Camera Real-Time Monitoring and Information Management System for PPG Tin-Bath. Developed multi-threaded multi-server/client communication and achieved continuous real-time transmission with less than 0.1 second delay. Feature demo and presentation 8 times (100% success rate). Supervisors: Dr. Ning Xi, Dr. Yu Jiao, Dr. Matt Mutka